Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Done!
My first chemotherapy.   It may be hard to see but this is a totally empty bag of Rituxan (rituximabinfusion for my autoimmune disease - 
vasculitis Microscopic Polyangiitis.


I had to be to the doctor's office this morning by 7:30 am which caused some anxiety which I didn't need to add to my already accumulated concern - fear of the unknown, you know.

Anyway, I overslept, past the alarms - which is unusual since I've been waking up at 5 am every other day recently. So, I was in a rush and confused. Good thing I had all my stuff together and ready to go but did not have a morning shower yet so that caused stress.

I guess my anxiety was pretty high. My blood pressure was 165/80. It came back down over the course of the morning to normal, but it IS amazing the affect stress has on your actual physical being.

The nurse let the medicine drip in slowly, increasing the speed of the drip as she checked in with me on the half hour taking my blood pressure and oxygen. She said that actually I did well. 
If your doctor prescribes chemo with Rituxan, try to remain calm.  "Do as I say, not as I do/did."
Also - pack a lunch - it takes a while.  Bring something to read. There was no TV in the office's infusion room, but I'm not sure I would've wanted one. You need to be able to doze off.

*   *   *

Quick tips if you are prescribed Rituxan:

Look up on the Internet beforehand about it's role in your particular autoimmune disorder.  Knowledge is power and it will make you feel better.

Ask your medical team questions: what other medicines can you take before and after your infusion.

Get someone to drive you and take you home. You might have side effects and it's nice to have support.

Prepare and set out everything you will need at the infusion the night before.

Set your alarm!  Set several in fact.

*   *   *

I should note that today was also the first national ceremony for the over 400,000 people that have died in the U.S. from the coronavirus pandemic.

Tomorrow is the inauguration for Joe Biden as president. He has a big job ahead of him and needs our support.

Tomorrow is also the one year anniversary of the first recognized person with Covid in this country. He flew into Seattle one year ago tomorrow and landed in Seattle. And so it began ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Day 34 of the Dr. Amy Myers nutrition protocol I have been remiss in writing in this diary/blog as of late because I've been battling m...